Sanook reported that a 78 year old German pensioner was electrocuted trying to repair a pump at his house in the Nong Samrong area of Udon Thani in Thailand's north-east.
Police said he had not unplugged the pump.
A video on Sanook showed his Thai wife lighting incense saying goodbye to her husband.
Mr Werrer (name transliterated from Thai) was found by the pump and a 2,000 liter water container.
His right hand had burns and there was a monkey wrench and pliers by the body.
Warunee, 56, his wife said they had been pottering about the garden before her husband decided to mend the pump that had been broken for two days. She said he liked to do odd jobs around the house.
She found him lying dead a while later and alerted neighbors.
Muang district police said that he had not unplugged the pump before attempting repairs and had likely been electrocuted. An autopsy has been ordered.
Warunee said that the couple met more than ten years ago in Koh Samui where she was working as a traditional Thai masseuse.
They got married and later moved into the house in her hometown five years ago.